Tuesday, September 19, 2023

Building Chicken Saloon

 I'm so excited to share my chicken coop build with you all!!!! 

I wanted to build my chickens a new house when we moved onto our new property but since we just closed escrow we were working on a budget. I had been scrolling Pinterest and was thinking BIG!!! 

I mean I have a lot of chicken (30+ at that point) and we have a lot of predators. Coyotes, foxes, mountain lions, raccoons, opossums, skunks hawks etc. So I had to think of all the angles to protect my little raptors. 

I started by colleting lots of pallets, against my husbands wishes. I then started collecting scrap lumber, old fence boards and my parents gave me some old used redwood siding from our family cabins. So after collecting for several months I decided to get to work. 

I started by hitting Lowes and getting a couple boxes of screws and a roll of Tyvek weather wrap. That's all I had to buy, everything else was free or reclaimed. 



After leveling the ground I laid out 4 pallets of equal size and attached them all together and leveled them out. I had to dig out two small holes and place 2 small cut 4 x 4 and concrete them in to hold up the from of the the platform. 

Once I got the base leveled and stable I started working on the walls and the roof.











My daughter jumped on board to help. Homeschooling at its best!!! 
We wrapped the whole structure in plastic for weather proofing then went back and wrapped again in the Tyvek as well. 







All the windows are build into the structure. There is not class, just hardwire cloth. I put plastic over the windows on the inside in the winter when its cold and windy. 




I have an automatic closing door to keep out the predators. It closes at dark and opens in the morning. 




Super proud of myself, I'm almost done!!!!! My son took this picture, he was also very proud of me!




Very happy chickens!!! 




Already getting lots of eggs!!!! 




They were happily checking it all out!!! 




Only the over hang left to go on the house and it's done!!! Then I have to build the yard! 




It's all done!!!!!!!



All build with reclaimed and recycled materials!!! The two posts are from trees from by our family cabin that my dad cut down. The wood on the outside it also from out cabins so that has a special meaning! I absolutely LOVE how my chicken coop turned out! 

Its actually 10' x 8' x 8' x 8'. 


Thanks for checking it out!!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment